Monday, August 28, 2006

August 26, 2006 - Tapers hurt

Strength Training: 30min

Another quiet weekend. Really having a hard time balancing this taper with not-too-much/not-too-little training. I've erred on the too-little side, thinking that more energy in the body is a better thing, but I still feel a bit guilty for that. This weekend I felt more motivated to do stuff around the house than train, so I did. Then my wife pulled out her workout DVD after our daughter went to bed.

I'm not a big fan of that DVD. It's tough. Okay, I do like it, but it busts my ass.

So instead of a brick, or another run, we did strength training, something I haven't done for a very long time. And it felt good - I really should do it more. I'm tired and sore from it, but my cardio hardly skipped a beat. I always push the cardio too hard too much, so I found this to be very "refreshing." Thanks for working out with me, my dear!

One thing that surprises me is that I ache all over. And it all started a couple days after my taper started. Usually after hard workouts, I get "delayed onset muscle soreness" (what they affectionately call DOMS) two days later, which lines up with my achiness, but it only recently stopped. Now I'm a bit stiff and "heavy", which I think is leftover lactic acid in the muscles. It's really odd that all this rest has brought this on - at times I felt like an old man!

The good news is that I'm feeling rested but strong, and my more moderate workout schedule seems to be maintaining this level of fitness too. I just need to stretch and loosen up more. The bad news, if it's at all bad, is that I did no swimming last week, and very little biking. Ah well, we'll see what next week has in store for me, and chalk it all up to experience.

Weekly totals:
Swim: nada, zip, zilch.
Bike: 20km, 44min
Run: 18km, 100min
Strength Training: 30min
Totals: 38km, 2h54min

And now, we're heading into the home stretch -- Week 9's around the corner!

1 Comments:

At 8:46 PM, Blogger Kim said...

If you haven't been strength training all along, now is not the time to start doing it!!! And if you had been strength training, now would be the time to start cutting back on that also.
Just get those muscles stretched out well before race day.
No more workouts!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counter
General Nutrition Store